Wednesday 3 January 2018

Quilt a Long #1


Hello everyone!

Today I'm starting with the first in a line of Quilt A Longs...
Naturally you don't have to do all of them, just those you feel you would like to.... so NO pressure...

I heard someone talking on Instagram about a Sew a Long they were busy with (quilt blocks) and I was wondering "what is the difference?" Is there something else that is done on a sew a long than a quilt a long. You musn't forget I've only been doing this for about 4 1/2 years now - and most of my time is spent with paper piecing...


The Quilt-A-Long happening here is called "Fox in the Garden"....

Its a quick 7 week - very relaxed - small 16x24" (41x60cm) mini quilt slash wall hanging...


This is our cute mini that we will be tackling...

Over the next seven weeks  we will be making small sections at a time and by end of February you will have finished this cutie... Nothing stopping you from moving a lot faster too.

I've added it to my Craftsy shop for those who would like to also get in on the action...


Okay....... lets start


I start with cutting out the pattern pieces and putting them into piles according to the alphabet on them.

Then sort each pile into ascending alphabet too.
Helps a lot when I'm working with larger patterns and then I can just grab the pieces I need quickly.







You will see that the pattern instructions is divided into the 7 sections we are going to be working on.

The first section is from A to H.

I've joined the sections that were broken up by the software by joining them to their corresponding number with tape.

I always lay the section I'm working on in front of me to get the overall idea of what I'm doing.
I've already decided to use my mountain of scraps for this project, so I sorted out a few colours I could use for the background etc.

Then I start making each of the pieces and then sew them all together - the instructions will also tell you exactly how to fit it all together.






 This is the first section finished....
Yaay!


I haven't sewn anything since August when my arm was really starting to be such a horror story.... so now that its almost a normal arm again, I wanted to start sewing something - not too big - just to get my mojo going again...


Once the second section is done we will sew these two together and have a cute house.



Now its up to you..... Will you join me?





Quick link to the pattern is HERE.....<<<<<


Here's a look at the joining of the sections - the way I do it - no problem if you do it another way...


These two pieces need to be joined. They both have the same number where it says "Glue Edge #14"





I normally cut off one of those edges on the line just under the glue edge words.









Then I place the part that I cut over onto the top of the glue edge up to the line underneath the glue edge words.



I just use tape. Washi tape, sellotape, thin masking tape..... makes no difference.... just don't iron onto the tape part... You can use glue if you want to  - just make sure its dry before sewing.


I hope you're going to have some fun with this small project!!

*********************************
                                        
 Quick link to my full Craftsy Shop <<<<<


(when you open the shop.... click on the right side 'sort by tab' and press NEWEST.... then everything will show up)




5 comments:

dq said...

I love it! Your designs are wonderful.

Eyesimple said...

Hi, just wanna share that we love art, but we specialize in digital design, such as apps and web.
Glad to visit your blog :)

Joan W. said...

What a great pattern. I always enjoy your work.

Trish said...

I plan to start this weekend. One question-what is the section beneath the house? It looks like dogs digging a tunnel? Or a fox den? Thanks!

Axel Muuirh said...

What beauty, I love your designs, the art that you make simply a complete work of art. Do not have your own website to publish?

I take this and cordially invite you to attend during the month of February the auction of artistic works to be held at the Prado Museum, will feature works by artists such as Rutilio Gaci, Gabino Amaya Cacho and more. With the special participation of the photographic cabinet of Las Palmas.